Monday, March 14, 2011

Take My Hand and We'll Make it I Swear



Alex and I just recently moved to NYC and while our job hunt has been a bit frustrating, I decided to start this blog to not only fill up my time, but to help others in the same boat. I knew moving out here on a whim was not going to be easy, but I had high hopes. I am normally a fairly practical thinking person, however the apartment was available and I had saved up some money. Everything just added up and I knew I had to take a chance. This is the city where “dreams are made” and I firmly believe I will make it. I am just realizing that it may take a little longer to achieve my dreams than I initially anticipated.

A little background information on me:

I graduated from the University of New Haven in 2009 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Music Industry with a minor in Marketing. I also participated in a summer internship program through the then-called University of Dreams (now called Dream Careers). Internship programs like this can be a bit pricey, but I definitely feel that if you can get financial aid, it is definitely worth it. I had the best summer of my life! I lived in the NYU dorms in Union Square and worked at UniversalMotown. This was a dream come true. (Get it University of Dreams? Haha) I am still in touch with my boss from the internship, in fact we have become really good friends and she has helped me more than she realizes in my search for myself and my future career.

After college, I returned home and started searching for my dream job. I was unemployed for 2 months, and then I actually went to Bartending School hoping to earn some money while I looked for my dream job. After several weeks of no response in my NYC job search, I decided I needed some stability and needed to start saving so I could just pick up and move whenever the opportunity was to arise. So I was 22 years old living at home (like most of my college friends), working odd jobs in retail, and also a few bartending jobs. Two years went by and this opportunity to just move to the city came along. After some number crunching and some serious thought I convinced my friend to move with me and here we are.

This blog is not only to share my findings and understandings of the different job-hunting tools out there, but also to serve as a forum of success stories and to help give hope to everyone job-hunting out there.

I hope most people find this site useful and interesting. Please feel free to comment telling us your story, make suggestions for reviews, or for the site, or ask questions!


-K

No comments:

Post a Comment