Sunday, May 22, 2011

One Way to Keep Yourself Busy - Look For Simple Side Jobs

Hey sorry it's been a while, things have gotten a bit crazy around here. 


Quick update: Alex finally got a job and starts next week.... YAY! He will be writing in soon to talk about the experience. Also I have talked with a couple of friends that are in different working situations, and some have agreed to write in with any pointers they may have or stories they want to share, so stay tuned. (I also promise to start writing in more regularly since everything is calming down) So here we go on one of the things that Alex and I tried to do while we were still unemployed (some we are still involved in).
If you are still looking for work or you need a little something extra, take your talents and put them to good use.
Before we moved to NYC, Alex used to (and still does over the phone) help his friends with computer, Internet, and electronics problems. They didn’t normally pay him much, and a lot of the time it wasn’t with money, but it kept him busy and it would bring him something.
I wish I could say I used to do something like babysit on the side, but I was not blessed with the “motherly” gene. Instead while I was in college (already working two jobs and taking a full course load) I used to tutor for extra money. Some kids really needed it (mostly those party animals) and it worked out where I could help them in between classes.
Since being out of school and in the working world, I’ve more recently thought about getting a certificate to be a wedding/event planner. Ever since working at my dad’s flower shop when I was a teenager I’ve been fascinated with it. I helped my brother and my sister-in-law plan their wedding; it was a lot of work, but a lot of fun (for me hehe). I’m very organized and I like to negotiate. I honestly feel it could be a good side business to start (especially in NYC).
Side jobs should be skills you already have (I guess unlike my idea), but it can make life more interesting to branch out and see what you can do.
I read an article in Time Out New York about earning extra money where it listed a bunch of different ways to make some extra cash (TONY). You should check it out.
Anther thing to do is to start a blog and write about what you know, or post pictures and or music you like. Like Alex said before, it is important to stay sane while job hunting and its always nice go earn some extra cash while you’re waiting for you big break.


-K

No comments:

Post a Comment